My Review: Kings Of This World by Peter Bailey



Synopsis:
Matthew is just trying to hold the wreckage of his life together after his girlfriend left him for another woman. A chance to review a West End play seems like a lucky break, until it turns into an X-rated nightmare. The next day London tears itself apart, people make love in the streets and kill each other over a dirty sandwich. Overnight everything changes, the city is very quiet, people smile and nod, but what they smile and nod at is only visible to them. The only other normal person is Jeremy, sarcastic, intelligent and frequently wrong. Together they form an uneasy alliance that lasts until cone shaped aliens land and begin harvesting people like wheat. The last two survivors in London begin a desperate search for a way to stop the aliens before it's their turn, unaware that millions of people have already killed themselves to give them the perfect weapon. Will Matthew and Jeremy realize the weapon they have been given before its too late?






My Review:

First off, the plot is phenomenal. I don’t think I have read anything like it. On top of that, the body of the category is also what got me into the story right away; the melding of science fiction (a genre of which I am gradually becoming a big fan) and the elements of a thriller.



via GIPHY


An example of the latter shows right in the beginning. As I opened the book to the first page and uncovered the situations unfolding before my eyes, I found myself drawn in right away.
Right at the commence, you are getting the backstory on the main character, Matthew, but the form of said backstory is related to the action in which Matthew is in the midst. In other words, you get less of a list of characteristics and find more of his character; his thoughts, means of behavior, and even relationships and ensuing bonds that come as a result of present conditions.


via GIPHY



The genuine development of the individual in question starts fast but does not at all feel rushed.
Therefore, I grew invested right away, which brings me to the review’s second matter: point of view.
In short, there was nothing hard to follow in regards to the story. As a reader who becomes invested in the characters rather quickly, I knew who was speaking and the vantage point of any given scene.
A huge plus.


via GIPHY


Third and finally, the story itself. While it is not a cute and cuddly account by any means and there are scenes that are considered disturbing, I enjoyed it.
In my view, a good thriller, particularly one with the backdrop of science fiction, is supposed to cause a little disturbance.


via GIPHY


And one so well done as Bailey’s Kings of this World did the job and did it well.
I read this book only in the daylight.

via GIPHY


So, if you like mysteries, suspense, thrillers, science fiction, or fantasy and don’t mind a jolt, I’d absolutely recommend this. 


~ You can find Kings Of This World on Amazon and Follow the author on Twitter! ~


Comments