Hello November!!!! My Review: Law of Five by Robin Mahle, Narrated by Lisa Kelly

Welcome to November and thank you for sticking with me this long!

 Been a crazy and a little of a sporadic ride since the first review in January of 2017

 Today, I bring to you my first official audiobook review and the first review of November, Law of Five by Robin Mahle and narrated by Lisa Kelly.


Synopsis: 

Kate Reid thought her past was long buried, but one man's obsession could threaten her future.

The nationwide manhunt for a killer begins and the media quickly dubs him the “Highway Hunter.” Bodies left roadside on display with horrific markings; a calling card. But this case is miles away from Katie Reid and Detective Marshall Avery.

That is, until she gets the call from her old friend and reporter, Marc Aguilar, who believes that the killer could be coming their way.

With Katie’s work at the San Diego Police Department and her recent personal struggles, questions are raised about the future. She resists the urge to consider Marc’s request, knowing Marshall will insist that this isn’t their fight.

However, when an acquaintance is suspected of a murder all too similar to that of the so-called Highway Hunter, a dark shadow is cast upon the city. Now, the investigation is dropped at the doorstep of the SDPD and so is Katie’s friend, FBI Agent Nick Scarborough.

With growing evidence suggesting there could be more than one killer, four lives have already been taken. Who will be number five?




I had gotten the book first but then decided to pick up the audiobook for those many times I have to multitask during the week but still want to get some reading done.

Anyway, let's hit it.


via GIPHY



The story had begun adventurous enough.
There's a character going along their merry way until BOOM!



via GIPHY



A body is located and, later, found to be murdered. However, this recent murder is no so-called "ordinary" murder. Its just one in a string of killings that are taking place.
And this killer has somewhat of a specific method to their madness, which includes carving the Roman numeral five into the body.

via GIPHY


I was wrapped up in it from the start. Also, the main character is Kate Reid, a young woman working for and with the authorities and who has apparently gone through a hellish ordeal at a previous point. You don't get the full details in this book which is fine. At the same time, it seems she has yet to fully heal and process it.
As expected, everyone's worried about her, particularly her boyfriend, Detective Marshall Avery. Despite this, she takes an active role in the investigation into the killer's ultimate identity.
Marshall's and Kate's conversation with each other would sometimes grate on my nerves because they just annoyed me sometimes. She's obviously not okay but keeps saying she is and he's always trying to shield her from something. The whole time I'm going "Girl, you're not fine. You're not even close to it. It's okay to admit that to someone you love" and "Dude, I know you want to protect her, but back off a little. I'm getting smothered just listening."


via GIPHY


That being said, I was more into the investigation itself and the twists and turns that came of it than the unfolding drama between these two or even Kate's connection to it. A lot of the time, the latter two factors felt more like filler to me. In all honesty, I can't speak for the others in the series because I haven't read them yet, but I'd venture to say that for much of the book, it could have worked with or without Kate Reid.

Even so, as their particular section of the story progressed, I got why it was there. My heart leapt, hurt, did all sorts of things. Mostly hurt. It was just all too real.

via GIPHY

On the murder investigation side of the account, I won't give all of that away but I'll tell you that no one is who they seem. I thought I figured out the killer and I was so, so wrong.

In closing, the mysteries of Law of Five are written masterfully well. Robin Mahle builds one heck of suspenseful ride and Lisa Kelly, a narrator which I am new to, is an amazing addition to the tale.


I'll have to be reading and listening to more of Robin Mahle's works and also Lisa Kelly's voice in the near future.

3.5 out of 5 stars



Comments

Popular Posts