Review: The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris


The Other Black GirlThe Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What did I like?
I enjoyed the fantastical with a huge dash of realism that Harris brings to this work. Nella is working her hardest to climb the ladder at Wagner Books. She’s dealing with toxicity, gaslighters and more daily. On top of that, when Hazel arrives, she believes that will have an ally in her quest. Only to find out that Hazel is competitive, despite starting after her, starts lapping Nella at Wagner. 

via GIPHY



Additionally, I especially enjoy the books that build-up, but still start with a bang. This one didn’t disappoint.

via GIPHY



What I didn’t like?
The shift in POVs felt a bit abrupt and it took me a minute to realize who was talking. Furthermore, the use of current slang or sayings was a bit bothersome to me. In my experience reading, using current references usually makes the book feel dated to me. So, with the overall subject being so timely, making it dated (at least in my opinion) takes away from the work.

via GIPHY



Lastly, the ending was odd and too open for my taste.

Overall?
It wasn’t my favorite of the most recent books that I’ve read, but I wouldn’t say it was terrible. If you like a slower-burner of a thriller with current references and fictional realism, I’d say this is for you.

View all my reviews

Comments