The Magician's Workshop, Volume One by Christopher Hansen (My Review)



Hey, Scribers. Thank you so much for your patience with me. Got a lot of books on my kindle, on my list, yadda yadda yadda, etc.

In essence, time got away from me. However, the books were never, ever forgotten.

So let’s get right to it.





Synopsis

Everyone in the islands of O'Ceea has a magical ability: whatever they imagine can be brought into existence. Whoever becomes a master over these powers is awarded the title of magician and given fame, power, riches, and glory. Journey with a group of kids as they strive to rise to the top and become members of the Magician's Workshop.

Layauna desperately wants to create beautiful things with her magical powers, but all she can seem to do is make horrible, savage monsters. For years she has tried to hide her creations, but when her power is at last discovered by a great magician, she realizes that what she's tried to hide might actually be of tremendous value.


Kai just wants to use his powers to have fun and play with his friends. Unfortunately, nearly everyone on his island sees him as a bad influence, so he's forced to meet them in secret. When one of the creatures they create gets out of control and starts flinging fireballs at their town, Kai is tempted to believe that he is as nefarious as people say. However, his prospects change when two mysterious visitors arrive, praising his ability and making extraordinary promises about his future.


Follow the adventures of Kai, Layauna, and a boatload of other characters as they struggle to grow up well in this fantastical world.


My Review

While fantasy isn’t necessary my go-to genre, I decided, based on the premise alone, to give this a whirl and explore a little magic. Initially, in the beginning, I was a bit lost, though this is likely due to my own lack of familiarity with the genre itself because I caught on not long after.

However, delving further into the strange and magical world of O’Ceea and its Color tests within this amazing collection, I found myself drawn in with every page to characters, primarily children who desire the top ranks of magician-hood and all of its preferred entitlements, whose journeys that I followed and fell in love with.

I saw a mysterious world that, though dealing with magic in its reward system, was suspenseful and extremely familiar to our own in that pushing past hindrances and reaching the proverbial top is the ultimate goal.



via GIPHY


One of the main things that I loved about this book is that these central characters were children. In the real world, children are just figuring themselves out. They don’t know who they are yet. They are still growing, just like every human being, but doubly so because they’re so young. The Magician’s Workshop illustrated this with its own characters and afforded the reader the unique opportunity to watch each character explore their own journey from the vantage point of the youths.

There were a lot of characters so it took a bit of effort to keep track of who was who and what was happening during the course of the story, but the author does an amazing job with exemplifying the introduction to the world and society in which each character lives.
I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

If you are a fan of fantasy, give this one a try. Volume One is a wonderful start to what I’m sure is a great set. I will be reading this author again.


Comments