Happy (Belated) 2018 🎊🥂 & My review of Shallow Waters by Rebecca Bradley 😨 📚



Welcome back to Forward Scribes and Happy (Belated) 2018! 



Today (finally!) I’ll be reviewing my latest read, Shallow Waters by Rebecca Bradley.


 Synopsis: 

When catching a killer isn't enough...
The naked, battered body of an unidentified teenager is found dumped in an alleyway and post-mortem finds evidence of a harrowing series of events.
Another teenage death with the same MO pushes DI Hannah Robbins and her team in the Nottingham City division Major Crimes Unit, to their limits, and across county borders. In a race against the clock, they attempt to unpick a thick web of lies and deceit to uncover the truth behind the deaths.
But it doesn't stop there.
Just how far are the team willing to push themselves to save the next girl?


MY REVIEW: 
 

So I got this book courtesy of Bookbub, which is where I tend to get most of the reads in my collection. Both the genre and the synopsis intrigued me. Plus I'd never read anything by Rebecca Bradley so I was game to let the summary guide me to "one click." 
via GIPHY



Bradley put together a good Detective-centric mystery while also tugging at my heart strings. It was not by any means a sugary sweet tale. 

Quite the contrary actually. 
It felt so real that I had to take breaks to get myself together.




via GIPHY
 
The language is not flowery, which was what I enjoyed most. Because it isn't supposed to be. It's an ugly world these officials see and the author portrays the dark world well, building up the tension as she does so.
via GIPHY

Further more, the story didn't drag on with continuous characteristics and descriptions of setting. Instead, the author went right into the situation, showing us the line of work (for this book alone; I’m not familiar with the others in the series) of Detective Hannah Robbins through the victims she and her unit are trying to rescue as well as the malevolent evil they are hunting. 

Also, the characters were numerous, but I didn't get lost. I found myself caring about all of them and their lives outside of the job.  

For this reason, I was a little disappointed in the wrap-up for these characters, though because its a series, I'm assuming there's both a culmination and added bonus of continuation. 

via GIPHY

So, if you like mysteries that pull no punches,  I think this well worth a read. It’s not a pretty book and, based on its subject matter, it shouldn’t be. 

This gets a 4 out of 5 for me. I'm looking forward to reading more about Hannah Robbins.  
 
You can check out the book on Amazon...

Take care and thanks for tuning in! 

~Jessica 

P.S. In four days, Forward Scribes will officially be 2 years old!!!

via GIPHY


I'll be sharing a very special announcement on that day about a new project that will soon go live...See you then!

Comments