~~~Pentimento (Jack Rhodes #3) by Stephen Carpenter ~~~~

Pentimento (A Jack Rhodes Mystery, #3)Pentimento by Stephen Carpenter
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

What I liked?
Stephen Carpenter really knows how to build upon a series. I’ve been a fan since reading Killer, which is the first in the Jack Rhodes mystery series. Pentimento included, the author builds up on the life of author Jack Rhodes. Through the situations presented, you see a different side of Jack Rhodes, from his journey in recovering from alcohol addiction to dealing with his wife’s suicide and the ensuing relationships birthed from there, and so on.



What I didn’t like?
I did not like the lack of returning of the key figures in Rhodes’ life. I was happy to see FBI Special Agent Melvin Beauchamp (he’s absolutely my favorite). But there were many others who figured heavily into his life (read Killer In the Hills, I won’t give it away here) that I expected him to have some sort of interaction with. It’s true that this is a different story but Jack is a different person and becomes a different person from Killer to Pentimento.


Overall…
This is a very interesting story surrounding Ernest Hemingway’s lost manuscripts. It has a hint of history and a ton of mystery. I’d give it a thirsty. I didn’t like it as much as I did the first two books. I thought it was okay, but if you’re new to the stories, you might like it more.


View all my reviews

Comments