Book Review: Her Deepest Fear (Book 1 of The Rosemary Run Series) By Kelly Utt

Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)Her Deepest Fear by Kelly Utt
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

What I liked?

I was recommended the entire Rosemary Run bundle from Bookbub and since I like mysteries (and the premise) I decided to give it a read. I finished the first book in the bundle and I did think that premise was pretty good and interesting enough to get me to read.

via GIPHY



What I didn’t like?
First, as I said, I liked the premise but I think there are so many ways that it could have worked and been done better than it was.

The author does a lot of telling us how the characters feel, but there’s no evidence that this person feels a given way. It made every situation contrived.

via GIPHY



Second, my biggest upset with this book was the characters themselves. I have a lot to say about them.

For one, there is not a single likeable person in this book (with the exception of the main character’s kids who we don’t hear from much and the main character’s parents, who seem like genuinely good people.)

There was no chemistry between Cate and Neil. I'm absolutely fine with books that illustrate insta-love or stories where the love interests fall in love quickly. Just as long as it's believable and natural.

But these characters?

Their romance was super rushed and unbelievable.

via GIPHY

On top of that, the cops in Rosemary Run are idiots. Yes, even Cate's own brother. For instance, they talk about the evidence they have in the case, but what they have (two informative phone calls, one from someone who they know actively dislikes the suspect) is essentially nothing at all.

via GIPHY



Basic police work (not the crap that they put forth) would have lead them to another suspect or even a solution.

Speaking of the solution to their case and this book, there was too clean of a wrap-up here and little consequences for those who should have it.

I was furious at the closing of this book. It made no sense.

via GIPHY



Things just happened because the writer wanted them to be that way, not because that’s what the character (with their respective personalities and traits) might do or say or how they might naturally act.

via GIPHY




Overall?
I had high hopes for this story but in the end I was very disappointed. I almost didn’t finish but, frankly, I needed answers. So I kept going.

I had to read on in hopes that there would be a payoff, but there was none at all.

I'm going to finish the series though since I have the books already. I hope it gets better.

via GIPHY



View all my reviews

Comments